Aluminum trailers are valuable investments that can last many years if they’re properly maintained. These versatile trailers can effectively haul cargo, equipment, or recreational vehicles, and taking care of them will ensure that they’ll continue functioning for several years to come.
Here’s our best advice for keeping your aluminum trailers in great condition:
• Regularly clean your trailer. Dirt, road grime, and salt can accumulate on your trailer, leading to corrosion. Regularly wash your aluminum trailer, paying extra attention to the undercarriage, wheels, and brake components. Use a mild detergent and a soft brush to remove debris.
• Prevent corrosion. Although aluminum is naturally resistant to corrosion, you can apply an aluminum corrosion inhibitor or wax to create a barrier against moisture and other elements that can cause oxidation.
• Lubricate moving parts. Trailer components, such as hinges, couplers, and jacks, require proper lubrication. Use a grease or lubricant recommended by the manufacturer to ensure smooth operation.
• Check and tighten fasteners. Aluminum trailers should be regularly inspected, and bolts, nuts, and other fasteners should be tightened frequently. As you travel, vibrations may cause these components to loosen, which can affect your trailer’s structural integrity.
• Maintain your tires. Check your tire pressure regularly to avoid overloading or underinflating the tires, which can lead to uneven wear. You should also inspect the tires for signs of wear, such as cracks, bulges, or punctures, and replace them when necessary.
• Replace electrical components. Faulty wiring or non-functional lights may result in accidents and potential legal issues. Make sure to replace damaged or worn wires and bulbs promptly.
• Store it properly. Store your aluminum trailer in a dry, sheltered area to protect it from the elements when not in use. If outdoor storage is necessary, use a trailer cover to shield it from rain, snow, and UV rays.
If you’d like more tips for maintaining your aluminum trailers, give us a call today.